Click on one of the links below for information on your favorite resort

Mayan Riviera   -   Jamaica   -   Punta Cana   -   Puerto Vallarta   -   Salvador Brazil

Avoid the hassle of slow crowded buses, get inexpensive private transportation in the Mayan Riviera from AGI Tours - Recommended by Palladium Addicts

1st time to Royal Punta Cana

Main Forum
neller1234

1st time to Royal Punta Cana

Post by neller1234 » Wed May 17, 2017 8:56 pm

Although we have been to the Royal in Rivera Maya 35 times over the last 8 years this is our first time to Punta Cana. We struggled with the decision to miss out on seeing our friends, our family in Mexico but since renovations will be starting during our vacation week we decided to give Royal Punta Cana a try. We are not travel club, just enjoy going away every 3-4 months and have settled in on the Royal Yucatan these last few years. From the videos it looks like alot of the resort is similar. So I guess my question to fellow addicts is What Building should I request. Are there 2 or 3 floors in the Royal buildings. We have a suite so what room would be best? We enjoy the pool more than the beach and are early sun rise starters. Do they have champagne at the beach like at Punta Emila in Mexico? what color are the frequent vip bands in Punta Cana? Do we qualify for them as our 35 previous visits were in Riveria Maya? Is there certain nights that we need to see the entertainment? Are their bands in the lobbies? Do the towels work the same as in Mexico? Do they have Bacardi limon at the bars? Whats the best restaurant for steak? Do they have Lobster available to Royal quests? Any other tips that might be useful so we can get acclimated quickly? thanks, mike

minou
Moderator/Palladium Expert

Re: 1st time to Royal Punta Cana

Post by minou » Thu May 18, 2017 9:30 am

Welcome to RST Mike. The RST is similar to the RSY ... differences are the Royal beach is right in front of the older section at the RST rather than taking the golfcart in RSY; and generally the service is better in RSY. Like yourself, I have been many times (not 35!) to both RST and RSY. The wristband you get will probably be the RST one which gets you into everywhere ... I say this because for some reason they seem to forget about the VIP bracelet, even when one mentions it. All staff know about the RST band.

You did state you were staying in a suite ... if you are in the older section I would ask for building 50 ... 2nd or 3rd floor depending if stairs are an issue. This building is right outside the main pool and pool bar. If you are in the new section (swim-ups) and are in the Royal Deluxe Suite I would ask for building 55 (ask for a room facing building 53 for morning sun) (this is closest to the lobby, a la cartes, and adult/secret pool). If you are in the Romance Suite then you are in buildings 53 or 54 (I like 53 better ... unfortunately these buildings have afternoon sun).

If you are early risers, the sunrise (like in MR) is great and you can walk the beach for miles ... no rocky outcrops or shoals.

I know they have flavoured rums but I am not sure about Barcardi. Personally, I enjoy Imperial rum (Barcelo) or Brugal XV ... both are available exclusively at the Royal bars and Hemmingways.

For steak, I have 3 suggestions. If you enjoy Chateaubriand, cheese fondue, and crepes suzette then try Le Chanterelle in the RST (like le Jardin). The Steakhouse in the Punta Cana section (make a la carte reservations the day you arrive; use the golfcart service to get there) is great for steak. The 3rd choice is the Royal Gourmet in the RST (no reservations needed in the Royal a la cartes).

The lobster in PC is different from the Maine variety. I am a big lobster fan and I tell them to bring me the lobster and liquid butter (sometimes because of the language barrier they have difficulties with this!). My only complaint about the lobster is the over-powering sauces and cheeses they put on top of it (Ex. Royal Gourmet\: Lobster Thermidor and Royal Queen lobster). Lobster is available free of charge to RST guests at most a la cartes (The odd one does not have it on the menu).

Towels are unlimited, but they do run out in the afternoon. There is a towel hut in the new section between 55 and 56 near the pool bar; there is also one near the ocean at the end of 50.

Minou

OceanLover64

Post by OceanLover64 » Thu May 18, 2017 6:15 pm

Minou, do you ask for your lobster plain then? I don't care for anything other than drawn butter on mine too.
Tina from OHIO

minou

Post by minou » Thu May 18, 2017 7:26 pm

I just ask for it plain. I tell then not to put any "toppings or sauces" on the lobster. The hard part is getting them to understand what drawn butter is. I tell them to put some butter into the microwave until it is soft. Sometimes it loses something in the translation. Personally, I find the sauces and cheese toppings overpowering. I want to taste the lobster, not the seasonings. I hope this helps.

Minou

neller1234

Post by neller1234 » Fri May 19, 2017 7:48 pm

Thanks Minou you have been most helpful. I see from other posts that you have provided extensive tips about the resort and it will definitely help me a first timer to Punta Can get quickly acclimated. If possible can you answer a couple of more question? Do you usually pre-purchase your tourist cards? How long is the line if you wait till arrival? How far away is the resort from the airport? Do they have a beach bar that you can get a mimosa at Sunrise?, I see they have frozen slushy type machines, Do they have blenders available if you want a drink made that way? Is fresh fruit available at the bars for drinks ( Strawberry diaquaris, Banana Mams etc?, thanks again Mike

minou

Post by minou » Fri May 19, 2017 9:47 pm

Mike, the drinks that you mentioned are not as good as in the MR because of the slush machine. Very few of the bars use blenders to make drinks. Juan at the lobby bar is a good choice.

Pre purchase the tourist card because it will save you time and the cost is the same. The resort is about 25 minutes from the airport. I don't know if you have private transfer to the Royal Suites, the only problem is that some of transfers stop at numerous resorts before you get to the Royal Suites. Lines can be long depending on the number of planes landing when you get in.

neller1234

Post by neller1234 » Tue May 23, 2017 7:05 pm

Minou,
If I could bother you with a couple of more questions. my daughters boyfriend wants to know if they have the Ice Cream sandwiches at the Pool Bars like Rivera Maya? My wife is concern she cant get her drinks, I am to believe that the only blenders in use at a bar is in the Royal Lobby, Is that correct? And I am hoping you can shed more light on the food. There's an awful lot of bad commentary on the internet concerning the food and stomach issues. We are simple folks so just looking for pasta, burgers, steaks, etc the basics. Is there issues around getting these type items and getting sick? I'll assume because you have been there so often that the food is fine, its just that it seems everything I read comments on it. thanks, mike

minou

Post by minou » Tue May 23, 2017 9:49 pm

Mike, all of the RST bars have blenders, but the staff lacks either the language proficiency (English) to understand how to make the drinks if you tell them or (b) lack the fresh ingredients. I have been to many resorts where the ingredients (ex pina colada) are available and the staff knows how to make them ... this is not always the case in PC. Yes, they can make the drinks on the menu using the slushy machine, yes they can make mixed drinks (screwdrivers, rum and coke etc); but they are not very creative.

I have found that the heat and the drinks sometimes have an impact on the digestive system ... drinks because the ingredients may not be quite the same as at home, etc. I have NEVER been ill because of the food. If one has a tender tummy at home, I would bring some of the home remedies with me just in case. I tend to ask for my burgers and steak to be well done so there are no mistakes. I tend to use common sense and avoid salads, fresh veggies, and some fruit (I have no problem with bananas, but I avoid anything that needs to be washed in water just to be on the safe side.) Burgers are available at lunch in a variety of places ... Royal Gourmet, Royal pool BBQ, beach bar behind the Punta Cana steakhouse, Palace beach buffett. You won't starve.

I am not sure if the ice cream varieties are the same as in MR. I know the beach bar behind the Steakhouse (Punta Cana section) had cones; and the Royal lobby had ice cream bars ... but they change things ... so I would ask the butlers or front desk or the main pool bar.