Click on one of the links below for information on your favorite resort

Mayan Riviera   -   Jamaica   -   Punta Cana   -   Puerto Vallarta   -   Salvador Brazil   -   Costa Mujeres

Avoid the hassle of slow crowded buses, get inexpensive private transportation in the Mayan Riviera from AGI Tours - Recommended by Palladium Addicts

TripAdvisor Submission Posted

Trip Report Forum
skassmir

TripAdvisor Submission Posted

Post by skassmir » Sun May 26, 2013 7:08 pm

All:

Below is my TripAdvisor submission that was submitted today. Already planning next trip back!

Have a good day,

Scott
:9:

“Best Bang for the Buck!”

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013 NEW

The Grand Palladium complex was great and provided an excellent bang for the buck. It did some minor issues, though.

First, there may be some sort of probelm with their reservation system. When we arrived we were told two of us that had reserved Romance Suites wouldn't be able to get them for two days. Now, you may think that is an isolated incident but I was sitting in the lobby checking email one day when I overheard another couple being told the same thing.

The real issue is they way the resort approaches and this may be just a cultural difference. They just say you have been "downgraded" for a couple of days. Heck, I paid for a upgraded room I expect something in return! My son and his girlfriend were arguing vehemently and getting no where. No offers of anything in return for not getting their room. In our case, thanks to a desk clerk named Roberta, we ended up with VIP bands. This let us in everywhere including the Royal restaurants. If they had explained that a plane had a problem and the were overbooked and then offered the upgraded braclets, I don't think anyone in our group would have complained.

Now the resort is good. I've been to better, but bang for your buck is outstanding. The food in the buffets is good but two buffets stood out. El Arrecife (on the the beach in the Bavaro section) and Las Torres in the Palace area. Las Torres was just a very upscale version of the other buffets and a favorite for breakfast. El Arrecife was the favorite for lunches. Once we got the upgraded bands we spent most of our time eating at the Royal Gourmet and Le Chanterelle . At Le Chanterelle you have to have the Chateaubriand. Fantastic. One word of warning to other visitors, if you don't have upgraded bands you'll pay $30-$35 for a lobster.

One interesting thing I didn't anticipate were the power outlets. In the rooms they are different and if you have a grounded (three prong) American adapter you are in trouble. A couple of options. First, you can spend $2 at the gift shop and buy an adapter. Second, the columns in the Bavaro lobby all have grounded outlets on them you can use.

Lastly, this resort, like many others, plays the towel game. If you want a place in the shade on the beach you have to reserve a chair around 6 am. Fortunately we had one person who habitually got up that early--it wasn't me.

I have seen in previous posts that people complained about the personnel at the resort were not friendly, the front desk takes the biggest hit. I have to tell you my experience was totally not the same. Everyone was friendly and would say "Hola" if you said it first. The folks doing the groundskeeping were my wife's favorite. They provided her with fresh coconut every day for $1. Speaking of $1, I heard while there that most Europeans do not tip. I don't know about that but I do know that our group of 11 folks tipped when it was warranted.

One person that stood out as incredibly helpful was Roberta from the front desk. She was patient with us when we arrived after doing the red eye flights (not a good idea!) She was always a smiling face to talk to.

One last thing I would like to add, given the choice, I will fly through Charlotte, NC for overseas travel. That airport is fantastic and getting in and out is very easy. Something anyone that has to transfer might want to consider.

Room Tip: “I went for the Bavaro Romance suite, consider staying with the Junior Suite. The Mayan bath looks cool but rarely got used.”

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family