Click on one of the links below for information on your favorite resort

Mayan Riviera   -   Jamaica   -   Punta Cana   -   Puerto Vallarta   -   Cap Cana   -   Costa Mujeres

Avoid the hassle of slow crowded buses, get inexpensive private transportation in the Mayan Riviera from AGI Tours - Recommended by Palladium Addicts

Lobster only at Helios?

Main Forum
northhillgal

Lobster only at Helios?

Post by northhillgal »

I am hearing that from now on that lobster will only be available free of charge at Helios. SAY IT ISN'T SO! :19:
Grand Palladium Riviera January 2015
Grand Palladium Colonial January 2016
Grand Palladium White Sands January 2017
TRS Yucatan December 2018
TRS Yucatan December 2019
TRS Yucatan December 2020 (Yes that is right, we are already booked!)

MindyH8
Top Twenty Poster

Re: Lobster only at Helios?

Post by MindyH8 »

I heard this too. We have been to Jamaica the last 8 times. They don’t have a TRS so we thought we would try TRS Yucatan. We have black bands and there aren’t many perks in Jamaica for that(though we go back because of staff). Since we have booked TRS for April they have taken away the 4 bottles of liquor in the rooms (though we probably wouldn’t use them), they are charging for Chic reservations, and now lobster only at Helios. We booked TRS to experience the perks of the Royal section. We paid for an upgrade to a one bedroom suite, not expecting to get an upgrade. It seems like all the perks are slowing being taken away. This will be our 11th trip to a Palladium resort. We have always loved the Palladium and have recommended it to others. I realize there are other perks to being in TRS, but I hope this isn’t a downward slide.

Jackie121
Executive Chatterbox /Moderator

Post by Jackie121 »

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but as far as I know it is true. That said, I don't really care for the Caribbean Lobster, but the only time I did enjoy it was, in fact, at Helios. I'm not sure if this is a temporary thing based on the shortages in their lobster industry or not. But at least for now, this is how it is.

I understand why they cut back on the 4 bottles of booze. Guests looked on it as a windfall to have a good stash of liquor to take home. Then the resort got wise and started charging unless the empty bottle was left in the room. I also think there was a lot of waste. In any case, you can still get 2 and they can be replenished if you drink them.
"The world you see is created by what you focus on; it's never too late to adjust your lens."

Leslie
Forum Moderator

Post by Leslie »

I'm not concerned at all. I'm thinking that if they only do the lobster at one restaurant, it will be delicious and cooked properly. I can't tell you how many times I've had Lobster at different places and it's never cooked very well. And to me, Helios is my favourite restaurant. I love getting the lobster with the coconut shrimp. After all this is a business and it could be a sign of the times that things are tightening up. I have no problem with the decision and I'm not going to let lobster make or break my vacation.

Leslie
ROYAL SUITES TURQUESA(PC) - JAN 2013
ROYAL SUITES TURQUESA(PC) - SEP/OCT 2013
GP KANTENAH(RM) - MAY 2014
ROYAL SUITES PUNTA MITA(PV) - NOV 2014
ROYAL SUITES YUCATAN(RM) - MAY 2015
GP KANTENAH(RM) - NOV 2015
GP KANTENAH(RM) - XMAS 2015
ROYAL SUITES YUCATAN(RM) - APRIL 2016
GP BAVARO(PC) - OCT 2016
GP KANTENAH(RM) - MAY 2017
GP LADY HAMILTON(JAM) - OCT 2017
GP KANTENAH(RM) - FEB 2018
GP WHITE SAND(RM) - OCT 2018
TRS CORAL(CM) - XMAS 2018
GP WHITE SAND(RM) - FEB 2019
GP KANTENAH(RM) + TRS CORAL(CM) - MAY 2019
TRS TURQUESA(PC) - OCT 2019
PC PALACE(PC) - MAR 2020

minou
Moderator/Palladium Expert

Post by minou »

Unfortunately it is true. Management is making choices that is and will continue to impact upon the paying public. We haver seen these changes over the past year or so. Will it continue … only management knows. My thoughts are the TRS perks will continue to be reduced. Lobster is only the tip of the Palladium iceberg and climate change is coming!

That stated, there are many benefits to the TRS that make it outstanding.

Minou

chillinfool
Top Twenty Poster

Post by chillinfool »

After all the issues we had on our last trip in October, we already decided not to do TRS next year after 11 years in a row. But now without the lobster perk, I doubt we'll ever go back, my wife gets lobster every night when we're there. Ironically, the best lobster we had on our last trip was via room service.

And I know some people from the northeast don't care for the lobster there, I probably wouldn't either if I had better access to rock or maine lobster. It's kind of like people who say the steak at TRS is great. Being from Texas, I rate it equal to an Outback or other chain, not near the quality of a real Texas steak, but to each his own.

kino29

Post by kino29 »

My post got deleted?

They are starting to do some cost cutting measures. The TRS is definitely not the most expensive luxury resort in the Riviera Maya so yes I can understand that some things were too good to be true! So I can understand the Liquor bottle reduction and Chic Cabaret fees, since those were extra perks at the TRS. They were only serving half of a lobster as it is at the restaurants though so this one is big. Personally I would rather eat at Tentazione or La Boheme and have my lobster there. There is a much better ambiance and I love their appetizers. It is also a wonderful experience to walk to those restaurants at night from your room. We have never been allowed to sit outside at Helios so the experience of eating there is basically the same as at breakfast or lunch and not at all Romantic or memorable!

We always looked forward to the lobster dinners, so this is a huge disappointment! We don't get lobster at all where we live. Not sold in the supermarkets or any restaurants. This will definitely affect our decision on whether to pay the extra for TRS or not since it is normally $100 a night more then the Colonial. I love alot of things about the TRS: The great service, the drinks at the bars, the Salt Water pool, the Spa etc but the #1 reason was the Lobster. We should be gold band VIP guests our next visit though so we will probably just stay at the Kantenah near the beach and enjoy the amenities at the TRS. I just hope they don't start reducing the Gold Band perks also or they are going to start losing their fan base.
Last edited by kino29 on Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kino29

Post by kino29 »

chillinfool wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:45 pm
Ironically, the best lobster we had on our last trip was via room service
Are they removing the room service lobster as well?

Jackie121

Post by Jackie121 »

I admit to being spoiled by our Nova Scotia lobsters, and although I've never been a fan of the Caribbean kind, in any country, I understand that some people are fond of them. For those people I feel bad, and am happy that at least they left them available at one restaurant rather than remove them entirely. Sorry guys!
"The world you see is created by what you focus on; it's never too late to adjust your lens."

minou
Moderator/Palladium Expert

Post by minou »

Unfortunately for the patrons in the non TRS sections there will be no more lobster as I read it. If Helios is the only locale for lobster, then people who do not have access to TRS will do without.

As for the perks associated with the multiple return policy (8-10 depending upon the resort), I can see this being a thing of the past in the next couple of years. A great reward for return patronage.

Brenda
Founder / Manager

Post by Brenda »

Announcement

Since January 1st 2020, ALL TRS guest can get the lobster (included) for dinner at Helios restaurant, on the mediterranean specialty, Not at lunch time, as usual.
We have specialized this restaurant for the right preparation and the changes are that Helios will open 7 days a week in a normal period. As well, the Helios menú, we offer is excellent.

For the other a la cart, the charge will be 38 USD, same for in room suite service.

So far, we are being very flexible as we understand that it could be some reservations done, but so far we have not any in house guest who has complained as the option is still there, in a excellent restaurant. Please if you know any one who is dissapointed and is in the hotel, ask them to speak with me, and you know I will find a solution for every specific case.

Celia Benito Andrés
Director Adjunto / Deputy Manager
TRS Yucatan
Palladium Hotels & Resorts
Brenda Truly great friends are hard to find, difficult to leave, and impossible to forget".8th Annual get Together 2013-Jamaica JaMon 2012 FIESTA TAINA 2013-PA YouTube Videos- JaMon 2014

Jackie121

Post by Jackie121 »

kino29 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:34 pm
My post got deleted?

What post? I don't think anyone deleted any posts regarding this subject that I know of.

Leslie
Forum Moderator

Post by Leslie »

Jackie121 wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:34 pm
kino29 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:34 pm
My post got deleted?

What post? I don't think anyone deleted any posts regarding this subject that I know of.
I have deleted my own posts in error on this forum many times. After I press submit, I have pressed my back arrow key to leave the page and then boom, she gone!! Lol

Leslie
GP BAVARO(PC) - OCT 2016
GP KANTENAH(RM) - FEB 2018
GP WHITE SAND(RM) - OCT 2018
TRS CORAL(CM) - XMAS 2018
GP WHITE SAND(RM) - FEB 2019
GP KANTENAH(RM) + TRS CORAL(CM) - MAY 2019
TRS TURQUESA(PC) - OCT 2019
PC PALACE(PC) - MAR 2020

kino29

Post by kino29 »

I think I accidently deleted it.
Well what remains is to see if they are going to remove the Lobster Pizza and other items.
That would truly kill it for me and I would probably not book the TRS in the future. There would
go at least two of our favorite dinners. We only stay for 3-5 days at a time and getting a reservation
for Helios in that time frame would be close to impossible. El Gaucho was full every night we were there
in September and we never got a chance to go. I would like to know how this affects Gold band guests as well.
If Gold band guests are allowed to eat at the TRS restaurants how do they make reservations?

Leslie
Forum Moderator

Post by Leslie »

kino29 wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:06 pm
I think I accidently deleted it.
Well what remains is to see if they are going to remove the Lobster Pizza and other items.
That would truly kill it for me and I would probably not book the TRS in the future. There would
go at least two of our favorite dinners. We only stay for 3-5 days at a time and getting a reservation
for Helios in that time frame would be close to impossible. El Gaucho was full every night we were there
in September and we never got a chance to go. I would like to know how this affects Gold band guests as well.
If Gold band guests are allowed to eat at the TRS restaurants how do they make reservations?
You're lucky in the fact that you live in Mexico and don't have to pay over $1000 for two people to get there on a flight So perhaps it's time for you to move on. You could always try a new place, a couple of nights here and a couple of nights there until you find something you love again.

Leslie
GP BAVARO(PC) - OCT 2016