Click on one of the links below for information on your favorite resort

Mayan Riviera   -   Jamaica   -   Punta Cana   -   Puerto Vallarta   -   Salvador Brazil   -   Costa Mujeres

Avoid the hassle of slow crowded buses, get inexpensive private transportation in the Mayan Riviera from AGI Tours - Recommended by Palladium Addicts

SUGGESTION BOX

Main Forum
filnuovum

Re: SUGGESTION BOX

Post by filnuovum » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:59 am

minou wrote:I agree with you McQueen. I find it irritating that one receives great food, premium liquor and then some drinks 'APPEAR" to be made with drink mixes and "slushies". One of the things that attracted me to other resorts (other islands) was the fact the drinks were made with "fresh" ingredients (pina colada). The slushies are easy to serve for the staff, but are extremely inferior in taste. Also, there seems to be a difference between drinks at different parts of the resort (drinks on the resort drink menu).

The pina coladas at hemmingways are superior to the RST pool bars (perhaps a different method of preparation). Some of the bar staff lack the awareness of how to make bar menu drinks. Some partons have found this frustrating.

Solution: ensure bar staff are aware of drink preparation for all bar menu drinks; consider less "bar pre-mixes" and more fresh ingredients.

Just a suggestion. Minou
Dear Minou,
Most of the times, using one product or another is a question of keeping costs under a certain level. There are other resorts that do serve national produced alcoholic drinks and only serve international brands at an extra cost. Others, like us, just offer international brands at no extra cost. And there are others that offer international brands at no extra cost but what you pay for a stay is much more expensive to what we charge. It's all a question of balance, I am afraid.
I agree with what you mention about the differences between the same cocktail prepared in two different places. This is something Ray and his team are aware and, as a matter of fact, there are training courses going on right now at the resort to improve this. I have to admit it is not always easy. A hotel is not an exact science but, for sure, trying to offer a better service and to be better is one of the most important things any resort has to do.

Many thanks for your suggestion.
Felipe
Felipe Martínez Verde
Operations & Product Manager - Vacational Americas

filnuovum

Post by filnuovum » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:04 am

stevencindy wrote:Chef's Table - I would love to see the RST implement a Chef's Table to their offerings. Maybe utilize the round wooden deck area on the patio of Royal Gourmet and place a 10 top up there once a week that must be prebooked. The food served from that restaurant is incredible and I would love to see maybe once a week the chef's there showcase their skills with items not on the menu - their specialties prepared for the guests to enjoy. A special menu is prepared by the chef for service to the customers who partake and paired with some of the wines available on the wine list.

I have done this on a cruise and the charge of $75 pp was well worth it. We don't take excursions, etc and this is something we would do every trip, maybe include a picture of the event, etc with it. I would think they could sell 10 seats to this event per week and it would also be a good way to showcase not only the skills of their chefs but also some of the wines on the wine list they have for sale.
Dear stevencindy,
As a matter of fact, we are working on something called "Chef's night" but as we are just working on that, I will keep the secret until everything is ready. We are going to test it first in Riviera Maya and once we have solved the problems any new project always has we will implemented in all our other resorts.
I can say that it will be something "gourmet". We are putting a lot of ilussion on it. I am sure you are going to love it.
We are working in some other things to. You always have to innovate!
Thanks for your suggestions!
Felipe Martínez Verde

filnuovum

Post by filnuovum » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:23 am

stevencindy wrote:Behind the Scenes Tour - I would love to see the resort offer an onsite excursion you could purchase that would offer some behind the scene's peeks at how the resort operates.

Being there for 2 weeks, watching the way the resort runs intrigues me - simple things like the sheer amount of high quality food they put out makes me want to see the kitchens, etc. I would love to book a tour of the resort where you can see some of the different departments in action - food service prep, laundry, mechanical areas, etc.

I know that logistically having all sorts of guests trooping around kitchens, offices, laundry, etc isn't that feasible but maybe look at different areas to showcase and open up the tour to say 10 or 20 people maximum if they can be accommodated. This is something I would pay for as it intrigues me.
Hi again stevencindy,
In most of the resorts we are offering a tour to our kitchens. If in Bavaro we are not doing this activity yet is do to the fact we are trying to have some "company standards" in all areas. When I took the responsability to coordinate our operations of all our resorts in América one of my tasks was (and it is) to organice all this. In all our resorts we do very good things, in some we do things better than in others. It might sound easy but, believe me, it's a never ending story. Basically what we are doing is copying what we are doing better in one of the resorts and implement it, adapted of course to each particular destination.

That means that, for example, bringing many things from the Domincan Republic to México or from México to the Dominican Republic might sound easy but when you consider a huge amount of information about sooo many things not everything can be implemented at the same time. There are also continuous change of priorities. For example, we are now working in a very special eco tour with kids and adults, something like a treassure hunt. The simple fact of coordinanting 5 different resorts in 5 differente countries and never forgetting the daily needs forces us to give priorities.

The kitchen tour is one of these standards. We update our status once a week. Despite I cannot tell you when we will have this tour available there I can assure you we will have it soon.

We have to consider too that it is forbidden by some local regulations and by our own internal policies not to allow guests to some areas. Insurance companies are involved, of course so it will be very complicated to do something like that. But (there is always a "but") you have given me an idea. There is a web site called www.travelyucatan.com where there is available a photo report of this type of things in our resort in México. That was taken by the owner of this travel agency ( we have become good friends, by the way) and we might do something similar in all our resorts. Now that we have a Social Media department, with staff and equipment, I think that could be a very interesting project for them to do. Obviously, involving guests in it. It could have video and pictures. The sad thing is that we have many other projects going on but this one seems very challenging and that's enough to die to do it!
Thanks again for your suggestion!
Felipe
Felipe Martínez Verde

filnuovum

Post by filnuovum » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:44 am

stevencindy wrote:Inroom Blue Recycle Boxes - The resort is really stepping up their "green" efforts with all the recycle bins etc around the resort. I would love to see a small "blue box" (recyclables) placed in each room by the garbage can. You could put the empty water, beer, soda bottles in it and it would save the housekeepers having to sort through the garbage dividing up the recycle goods from the landfill waste.
Dear stevencindy,
Thanks again for your suggestion. I would agree with you because at home we are (we could say), We are obsessed separating things at home but it would be complicated to have four different trash cans in the room.
At the moment our staff does the separation job. We have to go little by little, step by step. And not only because we need to train our staff about this and about some other things but, specially, because not all our customers are as “ecofriendly” as others. Another thing we have to consider is that we really want to be an eco-resort not just a resort that looks like it. I have been to places that they call themselves “eco” and, well…you know.
But the most important thing about this ecofriendly thing is “social responsibility”. I am afraid there is nothing similar in the Dominican Republic similar to what they have in México: a Social Responsibility certification. Many times we start projects in just one destination, we learn from our mistakes and then we implement it in the other resorts. This is what we did with the ecofriendly thing: we started in Riviera Maya and then we do it worldwide. Each time we have reached a level we have decided that we needed a new challenge and having those recognition and others and, of course, implementing new things, allowed us to be recognized in Riviera Maya (next to come will be Vallarta I hope before the end of this year) as a Socially Responsible Company.

What does it mean? Well, that the company cares for the environment, of course, but also, about the community where the company operates, about the people of these places, its staff. So, we could consider to place some extra boxes in all our rooms. I don’t think it would look as nice as, for example, in my kitchen but if this is going to allow our resort to have a few maids less, then we prefer to allow the staff to do it themselves because:

• We will need 5,10, 20 people doing this job.
• They will get used to do it at home
• They will commitment with the environment and will teach others.

One of the things we are now implementing and that will help us to reduce, for example, the amount of plastic cups is the use of methacrylate cups in the beach and pools. We have bought more washing machines, special containers for them in our beaches and pools. Once again, we have started in Riviera Maya, we go on with Vallarta. Jamaica, Bávaro and Brasil are nearly ready. We spare money in plastic cups but we reinvest it contracting some more staff to help us to keep the areas cleaner and to recover any of these new cups that might end in our trash cans.

As you can see, there are so many things going on at the same time.

Once again, many THANKS for sharing your thoughts with us. We really, really appreciate it. Many of our ideas come from suggestions like yours. We love it!
Felipe
Felipe Martínez Verde

filnuovum

Post by filnuovum » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:53 am

KenandPaul wrote:Steve and Cindy,

Thanks for sharing these great ideas. When we were at Secrets Royal Beach once a week they had a wine tasting of all of the wines on their wine list. It was a fun evening and then lots of people who attended started buying the wine. So it was worth the investment. The wine tasting was offered early evening, maybe 6:00 pm or slightly earlier before the diningroom opened and it was hosted by the head matr'd.

Another thing that they offered for "special" guests of the hosts was a private dinner once a week hosted by the management. It was a special menu etc.

Cheers Ken and Paul :60:
Dear Ken and Paul,
We had something like that in all our resorts but I am afraid we didn't do it the right way. In Bávaro we do something similar but with Rom, not with wine. At the end the intention is to sell more wine. You have given me an idea that, since this is the Punta Cana Forum, we could try there first. THANKS!
About the special dinner, as I have mentioned in another post, we are preparing something special with the Cheff but, at least for me, I would never has that dinner once a week if I was the manager. Please don't get me wrong. I love this job (you have to love it or you better do something else) but we are 24/7 available and, at the end, most of us have families and other obligations. Our daily schedule is never less than 10 hours a day but normally is 12. When you finish what you want is to go back home and enjoy your family time. I do it, of course, in special occasions with special people, of course, but in my honest opinion, it cannot be done as they do it in cruises.

We do have the cocktail with the management team, once a week, and it really works. Apart of that, I have always thought that management has to be Managers By Walking Around. There is no other way to run a resort.

Thanks for your suggestion!

Felipe.
Felipe Martínez Verde

filnuovum

Post by filnuovum » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:59 am

Musikf wrote:Slippery!
Please do something about the little road around the villas!
I went to the Palladium Palace/Punta Cana/Bavaro for the 6th times! This time, i falled! It was not raining. It's tough to find what king of shoes it does take to not falled on those red things. The guy in the morning was putting something of those ceramics. (look like wax) I falled very bad! Please do something. I bring my family there every year. It's scrary! My friend falled also two years ago. We don't have the choice to walk on that things.
Another point: Near the pool of the Palace and the Villa number 84, the little road is very high! If you falled like I falled, it's about more than 1 feet high! Do something!
I like this resort a lot. I have nothing complain. But, it can be very dangerous.
Dear Musikf

I was not aware of this slippery problem but I will see with Raymundo what we can do to solve the problem.

During my last visit to Bávaro I realized of something similar to what you mention near villa 84 that I hope it will be solved alreay. I will ask Raymundo and his team to have a look to the whole resort looking for similar places and to solve it too.

Thanks!

Felipe
Felipe Martínez Verde

minou
Moderator/Palladium Expert

Post by minou » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:53 pm

Felipe, thank you for the response. this is yet another reason we keep returning to the royal Suites. Few, if any, places have management respond to patron queries. This sets the Palladium management apart from others. I understand and appreciate the nature of your response. My suggestion was that, certainly not a complaint. Take care, and perhaps our paths will cross. Minou

stevencindy

Post by stevencindy » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:59 pm

filnuovum wrote: Dear stevencindy,
As a matter of fact, we are working on something called "Chef's night" but as we are just working on that, I will keep the secret until everything is ready. We are going to test it first in Riviera Maya and once we have solved the problems any new project always has we will implemented in all our other resorts.
I can say that it will be something "gourmet". We are putting a lot of ilussion on it. I am sure you are going to love it.
We are working in some other things to. You always have to innovate!
Thanks for your suggestions!
Can't wait - when it is available in Punta Cana, we will be booking it. Looking forward to hearing more about it as it develops.

Thank you too for responding to some of the other suggestions, it is great to see.

:60:

CMPalladiumyRoyal

Post by CMPalladiumyRoyal » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:20 pm

I will read each suggestion!

Thanks addicts!
Diego Diaz Cabrera

Social Media Community Manager

Palladium Hotels & Resort/ The Royal Suites by Palladium
social.america@palladiumhotelgroup.com

minou

Post by minou » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:49 pm

Diego, I am glad to see that you and other management read our suggestions. We realize that somethings cannot happen, for a variety of reasons. However, we make suggestions to make the resort as close to paradise as possible. I thank you fopr your response. :2: Minou

minou

Post by minou » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:48 am

I agree with the golf cart comments. Frequently, we have the lobby call for a golfcart to bring us back from hemmingways (Bavero). We wait and when the golfcart arrives other guests pile on (non-RST guests). The bracelet ID should allow the drivers to determine if the guests are RST or not. This is important when one is paying for the service. Doug/Minou

sukie63

Post by sukie63 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:55 pm

consistency, I agree with that, on our first trip to PC I was dismayed to find out that champagne was not served everywhere as it is in the GP MR, a chain should have the same everywhere. also others mention that in the GP MR drinks are made with fresh fruit, not so in the DR ( not a biggy for me as we stay in the royal and I like the champagne) but for others it is an issue. even though we stay in the royal we do venture to other parts of the resort and I miss not being able to have my cava as its my preferred drink

JOHNK

Post by JOHNK » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:04 pm

I have not been there yet but am planning on going next June. That said I love the 24 hour beach bars with food at the GPRM, there is nothing better than sitting on the beach under the stars having a late night snack and some drinks. So my suggestion is to have a beach bar/snacks open 24 hours or at least late night/after hours.
Thanks,
JohnK

sukie63

Post by sukie63 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:15 pm

JOHNK wrote:I have not been there yet but am planning on going next June. That said I love the 24 hour beach bars with food at the GPRM, there is nothing better than sitting on the beach under the stars having a late night snack and some drinks. So my suggestion is to have a beach bar/snacks open 24 hours or at least late night/after hours.
Thanks,
JohnK

I like it! it would be great if the new snack bar La Uva was open 24 hrs! or at least late at night as the sports bar is far to go to from the RST or the Palace sections and really even from the PC section.

if they were open 24 hrs and had a real cappuccino machine ( dont know if they do or not as they were not open last time we were there as it was still under construction ) it would be great for early morning walks on the beach, and for those watching the sunrise!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Punta Emelias was our fave place in the GP MR, loved sitting there at night for a snack and a drink, food was made to order the ocean was there, its actually the only thing I miss about the GP MR as compared to the GP PC

stevencindy

Post by stevencindy » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:39 am

JOHNK wrote:I have not been there yet but am planning on going next June. That said I love the 24 hour beach bars with food at the GPRM, there is nothing better than sitting on the beach under the stars having a late night snack and some drinks. So my suggestion is to have a beach bar/snacks open 24 hours or at least late night/after hours.
Thanks,
JohnK
That is a great idea John, would love to some nights grab a late night snack on the beach rather than go back to the room and wait for room service.

Also, as Sukie said, the sports bar is a little to far for us to venture at that hour.