Click on one of the links below for information on your favorite resort

Mayan Riviera   -   Jamaica   -   Punta Cana   -   Puerto Vallarta   -   Salvador Brazil   -   Costa Mujeres

Avoid the hassle of slow crowded buses, get inexpensive private transportation in the Mayan Riviera from AGI Tours - Recommended by Palladium Addicts

Newbie to Punta Cana and Palladium

Main Forum
DandL

Newbie to Punta Cana and Palladium

Post by DandL » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:20 pm

Glad I found this site through Trip Advisor- very helpful info. Traveling to Grand Palladium Punta Cana Resort and Spa In a couple of weeks. Looking for some tips from you pros!
1. Must see/do at the Resort complex?! Any hidden gems?!
2. Purchase Tourist Card online?
3. Airport transfers- arrange ahead of time through Dominican Airport Transfers or Dominican Plus... or take cab?
4. Excursions... considering Segway and/or Catamaran trip through Hispaniola, Happy Fish or Bebe.
5. Suggestions for restaurants (favorites, getting in to ala Carte without long wait...). Is Teppanyaki worth making reservations... can it be done prior to arrival?
6. Anyone do the couples massage? Thoughts/suggestions?

Thank you!!!

razel1952
Forum Moderator

Re: Newbie to Punta Cana and Palladium

Post by razel1952 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:50 pm

Hi and welcome to the PA site.
My thoughts on your questions:

One of my favorite places at the resort in PC is a stop at Hemingways cocktail bar before heading back to our room to sleep. Now, I'm not positive if it has reopened, as they moved its location and I haven't seen it since the change. You may want to check at the lobby.
Another area you may want to visit is the adult secret pool. It's close to the spa, so if you engage in the couples massage, you may want to do the adult pool after. It's quiet and relaxing.

The tourist card, I'm told, is now built in to your bookings with your travel agency. If yours has not, you can get one on-line or fill it out and pay when you arrive at the airport.

We've done all types of transfers to and from the airport. The taxis are just as good as the service companies. It's not that far of a drive to the resort from the airport. Sometimes, if you go with the transfer companies, they may book you onto a larger vehicle that you will share with others and they may get dropped off first, making it longer for you to reach the resort. So I would ask if it is a private transfer.

We've been on quite a few excursions and thoroughly enjoyed a catamaran to Sanoa Island. Loved the Altos De Chavon and lunch cruise. The last one I did included ziplining and I loved that also. There are jungle safaris etc. I'm not familiar with Happy Fish or Bebe, sorry.

Yes, the Teppanyaki is well worth the reservation, especially if you are lucky to have Carlos Suzuki as your chef. My favorite buffet for breakfast and dinner is LaCatedral on the Bavaro property and their buffet on the beach is superior to the others also. I don't know your taste in food, so it's difficult to recommend. I usually find their food in any restaurant pretty good. If you are served something that does not please you, just order something else. You must remember, you are in the Dominican and it is a different cuisine than what you are probably use to. So go with an open mind and try all sorts of dishes. For the best service, a smile and effort to make conversations with the staff goes a long way. If they sense you are friendly, you will not have any issues. Dominicans are a bit shy at first, but love to have fun. They will do their very best to make your stay a comfortable and happy experience. If you can afford, a romantic dinner on the gazebo is quite memorable.

Did a couples massage with a friend. They are very professional and their hands are like magic.

Enjoy your stay and just wait until you see the beautiful beach.
Salt Water Tanks
Treasure Coast Corals, Inc.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Treasure- ... 0541496234

minou
Moderator/Palladium Expert

Post by minou » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:34 pm

I use Dominican Plus for the transfer 58USD if you tell them you are a palladium addicts. This is private transfer 1 to 4 people return. You can pay cash on arrival or via PayPal.
My favourite buffet is either the palace buffet or the cathedral one. That being said I tend to eat at the Royal Suites most of the time. Dinner a la carte you may wish to visit are the steakhouse in Punta Cana section, the japanese, brazilian are also great. Try to make reservations the day of arrival because the more popular ones are booked days in advance.
Tourist cards are included from Canada except Sunwing. Your travel compamy should tell you if it is included in the price

DandL

Post by DandL » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:14 am

Thank you both... helpful info!

Conan

Post by Conan » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:38 pm

My understanding is that Hemmingway's has been replaced by a Rodizio a la carte

Gentille1
Moderator /French Translator

Post by Gentille1 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:36 pm

The Hemmingway has re-opened near the Punta Cana lobby and the new A la carte restaurant where the Hemmingway was is an Argentine restaurant La Paisana. We were lucky to be there when it opened and we loved it. Very nice and the food is pretty good.

There will no longer be a Brazilian restaurant. The Japenese restaurant has been renovated and unfortunately it did not open before we left :20: but I heard that it is quite beautiful.

As for the buffet, we love them all, we like to change now and then, but we have our breakfast usually at the Las Tores (facing the Palace lobby). Most of the A la carte restaurants are good, it is always according to personal tastes.

I suggest you learn a few Spanish words before you leave. Just saying "Hola", "Gracias","Por favor" is usually very appreciated by the staff.

Have a great vacation!
Francine

Je suis une "ADDICT" depuis 2009, alors j'ai pensé ouvrir un groupe "Accrocs des Palladium" sur Facebook pour partager en français les différentes informations. Si vous avez besoin d'assistance en français, venez nous joindre sur: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1462206110537662/

Prochain voyage: Decembre 2018 au Grand Palladium à Punta Cana :7:

pcgal

Post by pcgal » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:44 pm

You will love it. Take the train around the resort. It will give you the big picture and show you the hilights. I concur about La cathedral buffet. I like that one the best for breakfast. Also, check out the sports bar for a casual atmosphere. They have great chicken fingers, lol. Handy place for a quick bite the day you leave if the buffets arent open.
We arrive on Jan 13th for 2 weeks

DandL

Post by DandL » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:08 am

PCGal... thanks. Enjoy your upcoming trip! Guess we will be there at the same time (although jealous your trip will be 2 weeks!!!)- Our trip is Jan 22-28. Absolutely can NOT wait!

Gentille 1- thank you. Glad to hear Hemingway’s has reopened- mentioned as a great spot on many posts so I am looking forward to going there. All good info, thanks again. Hope you had a wonderful recent trip. I sure hope the Japanese restaurant is open when we arrive... been looking forward to dining at the Teppanyaki table!

:1:

pcgal

Post by pcgal » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:46 pm

I just read somewhere, maybe Facebook page for either addicts, travel club members or the Royal Suites, anyways it said the Japanese has been renovated and made bigger. They took the Brazilian out. So look forward to the Japanese restaurant. It's great food and a great show.

See you there. :63:

nauist

Post by nauist » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:22 pm

Hi We used Dominican Plus last June and was very pleased with their service.

Steven & Celeste

Coachwas2

Post by Coachwas2 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:54 pm

Hey Newbie and Welocme.

We always pre-pay Tourist Card. You will be glad you did when you can just walk by all the folks at the airport busily trying to get theirs done.
Try to get private transfers. It's very frustrating if you are in a large van with many tourists having to make multiple stops and unload their luggage.
We have done the Catamaran excursion thru Hispaniola and it was a blast!!! We plan on a repeat on our return in April.
The couples massage is Wonderful!!! You will be weak-kneed, relaxed and in need of a adult beverage........Enjoy.... :31:

DandL

Post by DandL » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:19 am

Thank you all for the good info! Getting online now for preordering the tourist cards and booking transfers.

Can’t wait... 5 more days!