Click on one of the links below for information on your favorite resort

Mayan Riviera   -   Jamaica   -   Punta Cana   -   Puerto Vallarta   -   Cap Cana   -   Costa Mujeres

Avoid the hassle of slow crowded buses, get inexpensive private transportation in the Mayan Riviera from AGI Tours - Recommended by Palladium Addicts

Loved It 02/27 - 03/11/13

Trip Report Forum
captainjkirk
Moderator/Palladium Expert

Loved It 02/27 - 03/11/13

Post by captainjkirk »

We loved our trip to the Grand Palladium Jamaica this spring, we arrived in Montego Bay on February 27th around 7:30 PM and were met by Reggae Tours Executive Car Service, which we highly recommend, they had us in the lobby of the GP Jamaica within about 40 mins, a couple of Red Stripes made the ride seem much shorter.

In our room request email, which we sent 7 days prior to arrival, I had made mention of the fact that not only were we at the resort to celebrate my wife's birthday but also our 25th Anniversary and any consideration of my requests would be appreciated. On arrival we received a free upgrade to a one bedroom suite, in building 12, room 1230 which is top floor with an ocean, sunset view. The bedroom balcony enjoyed the early morning sunshine with a view overlooking the Relax Pool while the living room balcony enjoyed the afternoon sun with a decent ocean view and a nice view of the sunsets.

During our 13 day stay the weather was pretty solid except for one 3 day stretch where we had a night with about 6 hours of steady rain and the next 2 days were really windy, windy days were not much of an issue, some of the tanning areas are sheltered from the wind and the Relax Pool is sheltered as well, however the 6 hours of rain drove the temperature of the Infinity Pool way down and for a couple of days it was just too cold to be enjoyable, the Swim-Up bar was completely deserted the day after the rain due to the combination of cold water and high wind. Shame they didn't have some type of solar heating system in place, perhaps on the roof of the Infinity Bar to help counteract this issue, at first I thought maybe we were too sensitive to the cold water but we had members of the POP staff tell us the water was "Way Cold" that they had never seen the pool that cold before.

I am glad that we ignored the TA reports of this resort, having stayed at the GP Mayan Riviera last year, the TA reports for that GP sucked as well, we had a pretty good idea what to expect and we were not disappointed, other than the cold water in the main pool which was weather related and beyond the staff's control, the only issue we had seemed to be getting our fridge restocked, a couple of days they just seemed to forget us, but a quick call to the front desk took care of this rather quickly.

During our stay the only a la carte that we did not visit was The Poseidon, seeing as it seafood only and we are not seafood fans, we enjoyed all the other a la cartes and thought the food was very good, if I were to list what we thought were the top 3 it would have to be Bubbas Steakhouse then the Creole, which also served steak, and than the Italian. The Buffets were good as well and the Jerk Chicken Shack at the cove, oh my, my lips are still stinging, lol, it is very good.

We found the beach near the Adult pool and the Sunset Cove beach to be the nicest but also the busiest. Always lots of places to sit and suntan at the Infinity Pool and pretty good at the Relax Pool as well but the Adult Pool seemed to have all chairs covered with towels no matter what time we seemed to come by.

We went on one excursion to Margaritaville, 7-Mile Beach with some shopping than a stop at Rick's cafe, it was nice to have done it and I now have the T-Shifts to prove I did but I can't see us ever taking this excursion again, the sunsets from the resort were just as nice if not better than Ricks's.

Met up with a number of PA members during our stay, Mibludbl and Panzita as well as a number of other couples that cruise the PA forum but are not currently members, most expressed a desire to become members once they returned home.

To sum it up we loved the resort, food was good, accommodations were great and the staff was friendly, we did tip often as the service was excellent but we never felt pressured to do so in any way. We would return to this resort in a heartbeat except I think in the future we might wait until later March or early April to avoid the issue of chilly water in the Infinity pool.
:31:
The Captain
2012 FEB GP Kantenah
2013 FEB GP Jamaica, JUL GP RS Punta Mita, SEP GP RS Turquesa
2014 MAY GP RS Yucatan, NOV GP RS Punta Mita
2015 MAY GP RS Yucatan
2016 APR GP Kantenah, SEP GP RS Turquesa
2017 NOV TRS Turquesa
2018 MAY GP Colonial
2019 MAY GP Colonial, MAY GP Costa Mujeres
2020 DEC GP Colonial