Click on one of the links below for information on your favorite resort

Mayan Riviera   -   Jamaica   -   Punta Cana   -   Puerto Vallarta   -   Cap Cana   -   Costa Mujeres

Avoid the hassle of slow crowded buses, get inexpensive private transportation in the Mayan Riviera from AGI Tours - Recommended by Palladium Addicts

Wonderful trip altogether

Trip Report Forum
Schaeffer50

Wonderful trip altogether

Post by Schaeffer50 »

Just returned from a full week. My wife and I had a one bedroom suite, third floor, room 1430. Our sons shared a junior suite in room 1311. The rooms were very nice as we expected. There is a lot of great advice given throughout the threads on this site and for that we are very grateful.

Yes, the safes use 6 digits as we read here, not the 4 described on the safes themselves. Yes, ask for additional towels and wash clothes as many have commented that if you don't, they will not leave enough. Yes, the mini fridges do not get very cold, the AC does not cool very well, and some of the staff do seem a bit indifferent to guests. No problem mon. Roll with it. None of that stuff put us off. There's ice available to cool your drinks. Put an ice bucket in your fridge.

Tip your maid a bit everyday. Marlyn was ours and we gave $5 everyday because she kept our room very tidy, was very friendly, and made a different towel ornament on our bed each day (swans, rabbits, hearts, etc...). I even left her a few shirts for her teenage sons. These are poor people. If you can afford to go the GP, you can afford to do a little tipping and you'll get plenty in return for doing so.

The property itself is very large with so many offerings from food, drinks, places to lay in the sun, many pools to sit beside, and many quiet places to just chill. The spa was wondrous and we wish we had explored the pool there a bit sooner. It's extraordinary. We enjoyed all of our meals at the buffets and the ala carte restaurants. The sports bar food was the least desirable but even that was decent. Not 5 star food but a solid 4 in our family opinion.

Our complaints would be that this resorts needs some love. It does show a lot of wear for it being only 6 years old. Many building exteriors and interiors need face lifts. Walkway paths and streets use paved stones and many of these have great dips and undulations. The mini golf is 9 holes. Two are identical and my boys quickly lost interest. The soccer field is in poor condition which may sound trivial unless you look forward to using it like we did. The nightclub/disco is a vast waste of space. There was never anyone there in the 7 days we visited.

All truth being told, we had a terrific time. A family vacation is mostly what you make of it. We enjoyed being together as a family and all in all, the GP Jamaica provided a very nice environment. We have been fortunate and blessed to be able to go to many fine resorts at many different locations outside the USA. This is definitely not 5 star quality but is a solid 4. We always carry a "no problem" attitude wherever we go and no exceptions were made here. While I doubt we will ever return to GP Jamaica, it was not because we were disappointed. We would like to see some things improved at this location for future travelers. We will not go back because we want to try other locations. Perhaps the GP Riviera Maya next time. It's been a few years since we've been to eastern Mexico!
Life is a gift. That's why today is called the present.