Click on one of the links below for information on your favorite resort

Mayan Riviera   -   Jamaica   -   Punta Cana   -   Puerto Vallarta   -   Cap Cana   -   Costa Mujeres

Avoid the hassle of slow crowded buses, get inexpensive private transportation in the Mayan Riviera from AGI Tours - Recommended by Palladium Addicts

TRS Maya Riviera - April 20-May 1

Trip Report Forum
KEPascoe

TRS Maya Riviera - April 20-May 1

Post by KEPascoe »

I just posted my review on TripAdvisor, but though I'd also share here too, in case someone found it helpful. (warning - VERY long)

My husband and I traveled to the TRS Yucatan from April 20-May 1st. We were originally scheduled to leave on the 29th, but we were having such an incredible vacation, we decided to extend it a couple of extra days. We were in building 64 with an ocean side, private plunge pool.

Service: I cannot say enough about the service. Every person you will encounter will greet you with a smile and are always looking for ways to make your stay better. There is definitely pride in all who work here and it shows from the cleanliness, grounds, maintenance, service staff on all levels, etc. When we decided to extend our stay, Froilam, a front desk supervisor worked with us to ensure we didn’t change rooms, and made sure our ground transport was adjusted as well. There were a few hiccups with that, and he stuck it through and even called me later in the evening to confirm everything was set. Also, our butlers Andres, Alexis, and Mariella were first class. Andres especially went over and above, even finding us at the pool one day to find out where we wanted to eat that night. Also, when we had an extremely early departure time, he offered up ordering us breakfast (for 5am delivery), and the Bell service to pick up our bags. We never would have thought of the breakfast and it was very welcome before a long day of travel. It was all done seamlessly and make our travels very stress-free. He even offered to mix us a drink when we came back from the pool or restaurant. Finally, one evening, we accidently left our safe WIDE open, (passports, wallets, credit cards, cash, etc.) and when we returned to our room that night, it was completely untouched. I really could go on and on about the service, and this was a major reason we extended our stay.

Food: The TRS offerings of restaurants is a huge upgrade over the family-friendly side of the resorts. We ate at all of the restaurants and La Boheme, El Gaucho, and Helios were standouts. Arturo and Nicolas at El Gaucho were amazing (and were both trainees!) and made our meal more than just a meal. All TRS restaurants are very good, but these three we went to more than once. Helios was our go-to for food during the day (breakfast and lunch) and we were pleasantly surprised how they changed over their look for an elegant dinner. The sea bass was to die for. Chic Cabaret is in it’s own category and was phenomenal. Very entertaining. My only thing with this, is that we left a little hungry. I would advise picking up an appetizer either before or after the show. The quality and variety of food was fantastic, we just felt there wasn’t enough of it. Drinks were a-plenty. The only non-TRS restaurant we ate at this trip (we’ve tried them all in past trips) was Chang Thai, and we ate here twice too. Amazing food and service. Top shelf liquor everywhere including our room.

Beach/Pools: We only visited the beach a couple of times but it was kept very clear of seaweed and looked beautiful. Lots of beach chairs at different times of the day. The TRS pools are amazing. We spent a lot of time at the Infinity Pool. It’s breathtaking, and the main pool servers (Ruth, Sonya, Juan and one more gal I can’t remember her name – sorry!) were outstanding. They remembered our names and drink preferences and come around every few minutes. Always offering food options, etc. The Infinity Pool doesn’t offer a lot of relief from the sun, but there are plenty of umbrellas if you can claim one by 9am or so. We never had an issue. If you don’t care about that, we never had a problem finding loungers at any time of the day. Our last three days, the wind switched, and in the afternoons we’d head to the La Terraza pool located more inland, which was also beautiful and again, the service was impeccable. Tiana was a lot of fun, and took the time to teach us the Spanish words for the drinks we ordered.

Grounds / Property: The resort is beautiful and huge. Normally, we like to get around and walk a bit, but the carts are everywhere and come by every couple of minutes. We hardly walked anywhere. If you were leaving your room, the butler would call one for you and they would pick you up right at the door. The grounds are impeccably kept, and at all times they are cleaning, maintaining, arranging, etc. Truly amazing. So nice, that we only ventured over to the non-TRS resorts a couple of times. We had no reason to leave.

Room: This is the only category that held me back from giving my review five stars. The room itself is beautiful upon walk-in, but once there for a few days, the functionality needs some major work. First, our “private” plunge pool was not private at all, and we had the back service path to Helios behind us. Also, the patio was very brightly lit at night and we found the couple of times we wanted to sit in it, had to be after midnight when all the building bright lights were turned off. I will say, that once the landscaping grows in (a year or more away), this will be a fun option. The room itself has a lot of technology built in which we appreciated, but it all seemed to have some hiccups. I was super excited to see USB ports all over the place, but they barely charged anything. My iPad was hooked up to one for an entire night and only charged up 13% more than from when I started. I tried all of the various ports over the 12 days we were there and found them all to be the same. Our TV had a lot of English speaking options, but five days in, they all turned to Spanish. While our butler staff said they were working on it (and ultimately found out it was something with their satellite), it took 4-5 days to go back. The room is very dimly lit. It’s extremely hard to put any makeup on near the “bathroom” sinks. I had to take the little mirror, and go over towards the patio door for extra light. On a positive, if you aren’t trying to use the lighting for tasks, it’s beautifully lit and very ambient. We love layered light. Finally – the design itself. First, it’s extremely open concept. There is NO WHERE to go for privacy other than the toilet stall and the shower stall. When you get out of the shower, you are in the middle of the room. There is an open-concept closet that is built in as a divider, but unfortunately, the entire room is COVERED in mirrors and you are reflected everywhere. Not as much of a big deal with just me and my husband, but if you were sharing with friends, this is not good. Speaking of mirrors, there is a length mirror in front of the toilet. Yes, you are staring at yourself (in full length) while you use the bathroom. Very bad design here. Finally, the sweeping counter that goes from one end to the other of the room is a visually pleasing design feature, but terrible for function. The counter is about knee height in the ‘bathroom’ area and putting on makeup or using your toiletries is nearly impossible. This is just a really bad design. On a positive note: The housekeeping staff is amazing, and our room was quickly turned over each morning and again in the evening, and our air conditioning worked fantastic. When you open the patio door, there is a sensor that turns it off. Same with the lights when you left the room. We appreciated the energy saving technology.

Overall Experience: We will be back and likely for two weeks next time. We have vacationed to dozens of other locations, cruises, etc. and this set the bar very high. I can’t say enough about our experience and highly recommend this resort.