Click on one of the links below for information on your favorite resort

Mayan Riviera   -   Jamaica   -   Punta Cana   -   Puerto Vallarta   -   Salvador Brazil   -   Costa Mujeres

Avoid the hassle of slow crowded buses, get inexpensive private transportation in the Mayan Riviera from AGI Tours - Recommended by Palladium Addicts

TRS Trip Report May 2018

Trip Report Forum
FunnyPreacher

TRS Trip Report May 2018

Post by FunnyPreacher » Mon May 21, 2018 2:23 pm

We arrived on Saturday May 12 into the new terminal at the Cancun airport. We were through customs and passport control in less than 20 minutes. Our driver from Canada Transfer was waiting with our cold towels and colder beers. Heaven.

We arrived at the TRS for our 8th visit and check in was easy and the champagne was delivered promptly. We had two rooms - one Jr. suite for my son and my husband and I were upgraded to a suite in building 69. The rooms are beautiful. I really appreciated the updates to the technology- the automatic lights and the smart tvs were great. I could have done without the mirrors in the toilet stall. The air-conditioning was hard working since I like it set to “meat-locker” cold in the room. The furniture on the balconies was fantastic and comfortable. We had our morning coffee each day on the sun bed.

The food was mostly great with the occasional dud. We loved lunch and dinner at Helios. The salmon , coconut shrimp and the pesto pasta was fantastic. Dinner at the new Italian and French restaurants was good. We tried on Wednesday morning to book into Chic Cabaret but were unable to get seats for Wednesday, Thursday or Friday. I guess we’ll have to try again next time. We tried to eat dinner at O Pavo but the service was dreadful. It seemed they only had one or two people bringing around the skewers of food so you would be served a sliver of beef and then nothing else for fifteen minutes. We eventually gave up after having three bites of food in almost an hour and left for the buffet. We also ate at the Thai restaurant and the service was great and the food was good. The house cocktail at Chang Thai was really great and we are still on the hunt for a recipe - if anyone has it…

We took a snorkel trip with H2Oh Suncruise out of Puerto Aventuras. I highly recommend this trip. The crew are all lovely and the meal they make on the boat is delicious. We were not as careful with the sunscreen so we all got a bit crispy. Not terrible- but enough to remind us for the rest of the trip to slather on the sunblock.

The seaweed was as described- thick and ever present and stinky. We spent very little time on the beach this trip (and not just because my favorite beach bed was always occupied.) We did make a few attempts to enjoy the new TRS infinity pool and club area. The pool itself is gorgeous. However - the lack of shade was a deal breaker for us. There were simply too few umbrellas to go around and boy, did we see a lot of painful burns on this trip. I’ve heard that they put some covering on the beach beds which will free up a few more umbrellas - but without shade we can’t hang out there.

The majority of our time was spent at the smaller TRS (the old area) pool. The service here was always fantastic and the two servers (sorry- I forgot names) couldn’t be more helpful. I did miss the grill at the older pool. They moved all the services up to the new infinity pool.

For other activities, our butler arranged a semi-private archery lesson and we had two massages at the spa. The deep tissue massage was excellent- they got a knot that had been irking me for months. The hot stone massage was relaxing and a great way to spend the last morning of the trip.

All too soon we were picked up promptly by our Canada Transfer driver, Fernando and had an uneventful return to the airport.

All in all, I like the changes to the TRS. It has lost the boutique feel but has gained in food and other amenities.