Click on one of the links below for information on your favorite resort

Mayan Riviera   -   Jamaica   -   Punta Cana   -   Puerto Vallarta   -   Cap Cana   -   Costa Mujeres

Avoid the hassle of slow crowded buses, get inexpensive private transportation in the Mayan Riviera from AGI Tours - Recommended by Palladium Addicts

Trip Report

Trip Report Forum
WCavinSC

Trip Report

Post by WCavinSC »

Settling back into reality and wishing I still had my feet in the sand. We had a great trip and can't wait to return to GPRM in the near future! There were 10 of us on this trip -- wife, son, daughter, and 3 young men who are essentially my sons & their wives. We had several celebrations -- our 25th wedding anniversary, daughter's high school graduation, 2nd anniversary of one of the couples, and another of the couples is getting ready to move from SC to TX, so we wanted to all be together. I love me family...and my family loved the Grand Palladium.

Accomodations:
We stayed in 5 Mayan Suites in Kantenah (all in building 35) and loved our rooms. My wife and I had room 3507 -- 2nd floor facing the ocean. It was a beautiful view to wake up to each day. We weren't so sure about how much we'd use the Mayan (outdoor) shower, but everyone of us used it as our regular shower each day. Our group had first and second floor rooms, and we all agreed that the view from the 2nd floor was worth asking for it in the future. Beach access literally steps away and just a few more steps to the La Jarra Beach Bar. Let me tell you -- Irvin, Rodrigo, and Luis took great care of us all week. Irvin and I established a great friendship and were able to have some great talks about family and life in general. I only wish I had gotten his contact information so I could stay in touch.

Food:
Something we found very interesting, but extremely welcome, was dinner reservations at A La Cartes. Reading this board and FAQ's, we had settled on the fact that any reservation we made for all of us, would result in having to order the same entree. Nope! All 10 of us were able to eat at: Punta Emilia (Thursday), Sumptori Show Table (Wednesday), O'Pavao (Monday), and El Dorado (Sunday). Friday night we were at XPlor Fuego and Saturday night was individual date nights for everyone. Rosa (hostess) was very accommodating at Punta Emilia -- our original table was set back in the back of the beach, but I asked politely if there was any way we could celebrate our anniversary at a beachfront table and she immediately went to work rearranging other folks and got us all 10 right at the water (sorry to anyone last Wednesday night that didn't have a prime spot -- but I really appreciate you!). Rosa also called and had the Mariachi duo come to our table and sing Feliz Anivesario to us. Special night! Rosa ended up hosting at O'Pavao when we went and made sure to get us a window table for 10 -- it was beautiful as well. Food was great at all the restaurants, though the portions were really small at La Adelita (went there on Saturday night with my wife). Several in our group said that El Dorado cooked the "best steak" they'd eaten in their lives. I'm not sure about that, but it was very good! We ate at Tikal each morning -- gotta have my Ham & Cheese Omlet. Services was hit or miss there, which was a little disappointing, but since it was the buffet, we didn't let that deter us from enjoying our meals. Lunch was pretty much at the Beach Buffet every day. What a great addition the beach buffet is to the overall experience. It allows you to stay "out", but get a good meal...and listen to a good musician or band each day. The country band that sang on Thursday was incredible and we say Cesar Nunez sing on two different days and he was fabulous. Not sure if the band that played during the Sunday Paella was Con Clase or a different band, but frankly....they weren't great. Out of tune, struggled with time, and vocal range was limited. I'm sure they're great dudes, and I had fun sitting and listening to them, but wanted to provide an honest review....especially when comparing them to the other musicians on site. The Rock Forever show was really good and fun....it's the only show we ended up making during our stay. Was awesome to be in the sports bar many days watching the World Cup with folks from specific countries. Had a great time singing and chanting along with them when their teams scored...or won. Especially Mexico!!!!

All in all, it was an outstanding week. We got treated really well -- most folks knew (or learned) about our celebrations and went the extra mile to make us feel special...all 10 of us. We are really grateful for the entire staff and the attention they pay to make the time there memorable. We highly recommend XPlor Fuego -- plenty of time to enjoy all the attractions there, eat an outstanding meal (ribs were tremendous), and not spend the entire day. The only let-down there was the Amphibious vehicles -- mainly because we got stuck behind someone who either didn't know how to drive or learned from my Grandma.

Until next time addicts..... let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll be glad to answer! Oh yeah -- we got a private tour from Jessica at TRS. Saw several rooms of different categories, all the restaurants and amenities. I like the upscale nature, but the location and comfort of the Mayan Suites in Kantenah are hard to beat. Guess we just need to make it to trip #8 so we can enjoy those amenities but keep our Kantenah beach location!! :-)

August 2016 - GPRM Kantenah Jr Suite (Bldg 51)
June 2018 - GPRM Kantenah Mayan Suite (Bldg 35 - 3507, faces beach)

WCavinSC

Re: Trip Report

Post by WCavinSC »

No ignorance...it's a fair question. There are actually 8 rooms in each Mayan Suite building. 01, 02, 03, and 04 are on the first floor. 05, 06, 07, and 08 are on the second floor. 03, 04, 07, and 08 are facing the ocean. Building 35 was perfect as it sits most "square" to the beach.

I forgot to mention that we also went to the Tulum Ruins via Collectivo. Left resort at 7:30am, toured the ruins for as long as we wanted, went into a few shops, and arrived back at the resort at 10:05am. The beach below the ruins was closed (staircase was roped off), so that saved some time. Total cost = $29 US (collectivo fares and park tickets). What a bargain!!

Finally, on Monday night we were able to walk down past the Unico resort and watch 2 Sea Turtles lay their eggs. What a great job the conservationists do in helping gather and protect the eggs...and the turtles. My 18 year old daughter literally cried with joy watching this.