Click on one of the links below for information on your favorite resort

Mayan Riviera   -   Jamaica   -   Punta Cana   -   Puerto Vallarta   -   Cap Cana   -   Costa Mujeres

Avoid the hassle of slow crowded buses, get inexpensive private transportation in the Mayan Riviera from AGI Tours - Recommended by Palladium Addicts

8th visit - trip report

Trip Report Forum
lovethebeach

8th visit - trip report

Post by lovethebeach »

Just returned from 9 day trip to Palladium Colonial RM. Greeted with cold drink, towel, and friendly faces. Had booked thru Cheap Caribbean and transfer thru Amstar. Transfers were quick and good - lots of traffic on Friday noon transfer, Sunday noon transfer not nearly as much traffic. Took about 1 hr. 15 min. both ways. Room requests were granted - were in bldg. 9, 3rd fl., corner room. Gold bracelet given since it was our 10th total Palladium visit. Flower arrangement, fruit basket, and champagne were in room!!! Feeling like a princess began!!!! We were anxious to check out the TRS section since we didn't go last year and hadn't seen any of it. The walk to the salt water pool and new infinity pool, Helios, bars, etc. is beautiful. The natural beauty was kept along the path to there and loved the addition of the hammocks. Beginning of trip - the ocean water was a little stirred up - but towards the end the seaweed came in big time. We've never seen it so bad - we watch the webcams daily and knew this was a possibility - but it was worse than what we prepared ourselves for. No fault of the resort at all - they worked so hard every day cleaning it up. But I must say several days the smell was so bad I couldn't even walk down to the ocean and the path leading from the Poseidon bar/eating place past White Sands pool stunk so bad because of the water draining onto the paths from the trucks carrying the seaweed. I'm sure the people near that had trouble even sitting on their balconies. Heard that weddings were changed from the pergola to the church because of it all. We didn't let it ruin our trip - but I am a beach girl and like to snorkel - so I do have to say I was a little bummed from it. However we had a lovely time at the White Sands pool each day. The Pop team kept fun things going - and did a good job. The outside buffet by the White Sands pool wasn't open the entire time we were there - I asked the bartenders why - and they said because of low occupancy. I did miss that. We either ate at the Poseidon ocean snack bar (when seaweed wasn't as bad), Helios, and at the inside buffet at La Dalia. The burgers at Helios are very good. Loved the ice cream wagon inside La Dalia. Wished they would have made La Dalia bigger - lots of people there since La Laguna buffet wasn't open. Seems when they divided that area - they gave much more space to the TRS section. Also found that they way the seating was (bench seating in middle section) - wasn't that great for families or if you didn't want to be so close to others dining. For dinner we ate at Ribs & More and Eldorado. Both good - but Eldorado was better. I had the fillet mignon and it was very good. Ate at the La Hacienda Buffet - food was good - but it wasn't hot at all - most things were actually cold. Liked the variety and the cooking stations and the ice cream station. Preferred Tikal buffet for breakfast. Food was good and hot. Loved that churros were being made fresh each morning, and the omlete station was great. All servers everywhere were so friendly, smiling, and went out of their way to please you. Enjoyed music in the Colonial lobby from 7 to 8:00. The other thing I missed was the boat that takes you around the lagoon area of White Sands, TRS. It ran for a few days - and we didn't get a chance to ride it. Then for 6 of our days - it didn't run at all. The boat people said it was because the water depth was so low - couldn't really find out why this was. Loved seeing all the wildlife. Also visited the cenote outside White Sands lobby. It is beautiful at night with colored lights, etc. Also another small one almost right across from it - but not lit up. It seemed like occupancy was much lower than other years we were there. Even though the resort can't do anything about the sargassum problem - I'm sure it is affecting occupancy. It made me sad to think that if this was your first time there - you didn't get to see the beauty of their beaches and the beautiful water. Many visitors spoke of this - and agreed that the resort is beautiful and the food is great - but the sargassum would affect their decision as to returning again. Also so much of the beach is being lost due to removal of seaweed. Luckily the Kantenah section has a deep beach area. When I look at pictures from 10 plus years ago to now - it's definitely changed the beach. Don't have the answer to this problem - have watched documentaries, and read articles that the gov't. is really getting involved along with the Navy. I still LOVE the resort - and think all the workers are wonderful. That's what keeps us going back.