Click on one of the links below for information on your favorite resort

Mayan Riviera   -   Jamaica   -   Punta Cana   -   Puerto Vallarta   -   Cap Cana   -   Costa Mujeres

Avoid the hassle of slow crowded buses, get inexpensive private transportation in the Mayan Riviera from AGI Tours - Recommended by Palladium Addicts

Tipping Butlers

I heart Mexico

Tipping Butlers

Post by I heart Mexico » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:57 am

I know it's probably been asked before, but I can't find any answers and we leave soon. What is the customary daily tip for butlers in a junior swim up room?

Thanks so much!

Jeffster
Moderator/Grand Palladium Jamaica Expert

Re: Tipping Butlers

Post by Jeffster » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:36 pm

Depends on how much you ask him to do, my rule is $100 per week for good service and can go up or down from there.
:60:

"The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass"[/color]

Leslie
Forum Moderator

Post by Leslie » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:08 pm

Holy Freyholees Jeffster - very generous. I almost feel embarrassed to say how much we tipped when we were there in December. But I agree with Jeffster - it depends on how much they do for you. We only had them book dinner reservations for us but they were very attentive and great guys! I think the butlers would be very pleased with any amount. In general we didn't see a lot of people tipping anywhere unfortunately.

Leslie
ROYAL SUITES TURQUESA (PC) - JANUARY 2013
ROYAL SUITES TURQUESA (PC) - SEPTEMBER/OCTOBER 2013
GP KANTENAH (RM) - MAY 2014
ROYAL SUITES PUNTA MITA (PV) - NOVEMBER 2014
ROYAL SUITES YUCATAN (RM) - MAY 2015
GP KANTENAH (RM) - NOVEMBER 2015
GP KANTENAH (RM) - CHRISTMAS 2015
ROYAL SUITES YUCATAN (RM) - APRIL 2016
GP BAVARO (PC) - OCTOBER 2016
GP KANTENAH (RM) - MAY 2017
GP LADY HAMILTON (JAMAICA) - OCTOBER 2017
GP KANTENAH (RM) - FEBRUARY 2018
GP WHITE SAND (RM) - OCTOBER 2018
TRS CORAL HOTEL (CM) - DECEMBER 2018

durango54

Post by durango54 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:58 pm

I do agree with how much they do. We didn't have them do anything either, 6 days out of 11 restaurant reservations. We gave small amount and she was extremely happy. I could tell she was not getting tips. You can look around you and tell how many tips they will get. So anything is very much appreciated. All of the workers seem to be very happy to receive a tip, no matter how small we think it is, they never seem to be offended.

Leslie
Forum Moderator

Post by Leslie » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:48 am

durango54 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:58 pm
I do agree with how much they do. We didn't have them do anything either, 6 days out of 11 restaurant reservations. We gave small amount and she was extremely happy. I could tell she was not getting tips. You can look around you and tell how many tips they will get. So anything is very much appreciated. All of the workers seem to be very happy to receive a tip, no matter how small we think it is, they never seem to be offended.
Yes our butler seemed happy to get a tip - we actually tipped both butlers. There didn't seem to be a lot of tipping going on at all when we were there. It could have a lot to do with where people are from. I know it isn't customary for people who come from Spain and the UK to tip even at home, so that could have something to do with it if there is a lot of clientele from these areas.

We tip in pesos just because it's cheaper for us in Canada to purchase pesos rather than US dollars. 20 pesos = $1 US approximately. In general we tipped the housekeeper 60 pesos along with a couple of small gifts each day, dinner servers 100 pesos, buffet servers 40 pesos, drink servers 20 pesos every couple of drinks, room service delivery 20 pesos and cart drivers 20 pesos per ride.

Leslie
ROYAL SUITES TURQUESA (PC) - JANUARY 2013
ROYAL SUITES TURQUESA (PC) - SEPTEMBER/OCTOBER 2013
GP KANTENAH (RM) - MAY 2014
ROYAL SUITES PUNTA MITA (PV) - NOVEMBER 2014
ROYAL SUITES YUCATAN (RM) - MAY 2015
GP KANTENAH (RM) - NOVEMBER 2015
GP KANTENAH (RM) - CHRISTMAS 2015
ROYAL SUITES YUCATAN (RM) - APRIL 2016
GP BAVARO (PC) - OCTOBER 2016
GP KANTENAH (RM) - MAY 2017
GP LADY HAMILTON (JAMAICA) - OCTOBER 2017
GP KANTENAH (RM) - FEBRUARY 2018
GP WHITE SAND (RM) - OCTOBER 2018
TRS CORAL HOTEL (CM) - DECEMBER 2018

captainjkirk
Moderator/Palladium Expert

Post by captainjkirk » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:43 am

my rule is $100 per week for good service
I think I want to be Jeffster's butler.
:31:
The Captain
(Dave)
2011 FEB Grand Bahia Principe Ambar PC
2012 FEB GP Kantenah, JUL Paradisus Princesa Del Mar
2013 FEB GP Jamaica, JUL GP RS Punta Mita, SEP GP RS Turquesa
2014 MAY GP RS Yucatan, JUL Melia Cayo Coco, NOV GP RS Punta Mita
2015 MAY GP RS Yucatan, SEP Melia Cayo Coco
2016 APR GP Kantenah, SEP GP RS Turquesa
2017 APR Melia Las Dunas, NOV TRS Turquesa
2018 MAY GP Colonial, DEC Paradisus Rio De Oro

Jeffster
Moderator/Grand Palladium Jamaica Expert

Post by Jeffster » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:41 pm

captainjkirk wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:43 am
my rule is $100 per week for good service
I think I want to be Jeffster's butler.
:31:
The Captain
(Dave)
14 bucks a day isn't that much, makes me wonder what you'd do for a Klondike Bar

:8: :61: :8:

"The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass"[/color]

madge59

Post by madge59 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:49 pm

Do you generally tip at the end of the week or the beginning? Or do you start with a small tip and then another tip at the end if they have gone the extra mile? When we were there in November, we tipped our butler $10.00 at check-in. We were only there for four nights, so we thought that was a good start. We planned on tipping another $10.00 at the end of the trip if we got good service. However, we never saw any butler ever again. They were never at the desk and we had no phone number for contact. Of course, this was 2 weeks after the opening and things were so chaotic and not running smoothly at all.

I guess I'm asking if you "bribe" at the beginning for good service or "reward" at the end for good service, or is it a little of both?